Want to know The Truth About CPM?

10 June 2016

Taking the Oracle Enterprise Planning Cloud Survey

Surveying the EPM Cloud landscape

NB – The below is a somewhat humorous repeat of what I wrote about the Hybrid survey.  This is in part because it’s much the same subject, in part because it’s (mildly) funny, and in large part because I am lazy.  Chuckle, or not, at the first two paragraphs.  It gets real after that.

If you read this blog, you know that PBCS is the future of Planning.  If you don’t agree with that you should read this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this  and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and buy this.  (Yes, I just recommended someone else’s book.  Why not?  It’s an excellent primer on the subject.  I await the same plug the other way round.)  Convinced?  You should at least be convinced that I and my guest bloggers think PBCS is the future.  There’s no reason to think that the same isn’t true for the rest of the EPM product stack.

Oh yes, if you doubt my commitment to the cloud, come see these sessions at Kscope16:
Cameron Lackpour , CL Solve
Co-presenter(s): Jason Jones, Key Performance Ideas
When: Jun 27, 2016, Session 3a, 12:45 pm - 1:45 pm
Topic: EPM Applications - Subtopic: Planning

Cameron Lackpour , CL Solve
Co-presenter(s): Tim German, Qubix
When: Jun 29, 2016, Session 17, 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
Topic: EPM Platform - Subtopic: Essbase

And pity poor Jason and Tim for working with me.  Suckers. Fantastic volunteers the both of them.

What really matters

But as with so many things in my life, what I think really doesn’t matter.  I need only reflect on my 15 years of life with my cat as proof positive that what I think or want or need is 100% not important except for meal times and when it’s cold and I can act as the human furnace.  This harsh relationship has taught me to focus on what others need, not what I want.  See cat haters, felines are agents of self-actualization.  And hairballs.  

What really matters is where the EPM market is going.  Without shocking you too much, it’s clearly going to the Cloud as witnessed by PBCS, E-PBCS, FCCS, and who knows what else.

But how is that working out?  Seamlessly?  Painfully?  Somewhere in between?  What keeps you from using it?  Security?  Scaling?  Something else?

As with the Hybrid survey, we’re collecting your input – go ahead, rant or gush about PBCS anonymously or with your John Hancock – and forwarding it to Oracle.  Every voice really does count.  For those of you of a cynical mind (I fall into that category on any number of fronts), bear in mind that if EPM Cloud products are complete stinkers, Oracle will lose money, the EPM product management and development teams get laid off, they won’t be able to make their mortgages or college education funding or that dream vacation on the South African veldt or retire.  You see?  They have a lot riding on the product being what you need.  And yes, that outcome chain is a bit exaggerated -- money or no money figure out how to go to South Africa as it’s one of the most beautiful countries in the world.  I anxiously await my check from SA Tourism  payable in Rand.

Case in point and the point of this post

You have an opportunity to tell world+dog at Kscope16 and an opportunity to send this feedback right back to Oracle product management via John Booth’s survey:  

Noting names

Fellow ACEs John Booth, Tim German, Mike Nader, and Yr. Obt. Svt. have all signed on for this.  We’re True Believers in this open relationship with Oracle.  We hope you will too.

Be seeing you.

No comments: